Sunday, January 5, 2014

We Have Ignition....

I'm back.

As most who will find this know, I began my blogging career in 2012.  That summer, my wife Theresa and I spent two delightful weeks in Ballyliffin, Ireland, the Northern-most golf club in Ireland.  I blogged the trip here, and the results were overwhelming.  Well, perhaps not so much overwhelming, but certain folks enjoyed it.  So if the current undertaking bores or annoys, take it up with the aforementioned Theresa, Mark W. or Maggot.

So, what's the plan?  Good question, I should get me one of those.... My intention is to use this space to discuss all things golf-related, and there could be some skiing content thrown in for good measure..  I have strong opinions on all these subjects, some of which I can even articulate and a smaller subset of which I can defend.

In the future you should expect discussion of (as the lawyers say, including but not limited to):
  1. The professional golf tours - Most of those pixels will inevitably be devoted to the PGA Tour, but I also have an interest in the ladies, as well as amateur and college golf.  
  2. Golf Course Design - I'm a closet golf course architecture geek, with a minor in all things C.B. Macdonald.  You've been warned.
  3. The Rules of Golf - I know, I need to get out more.  But the rules of golf are really quite interesting, or at least we'll see if I can render them so.  Admittedly I may be late to the party here, as 2013 may well have been the high water mark on rules infractions (see Woods, Tiger).
  4. Golf Travel - As per the Ballyliffin blog and my long post on our trip to the Southport, England area (think British Open venues Royal Birkdale, Lytham & St. Annes and Liverpool, a/k/a Hoylake), I like to go everywhere the turf is firm and fast and talk about it endlessly.  Have you ever heard of Ashkernish?  You will if you stay tuned.  This dovetails nicely with....
  5. The Joys of Links Golf - Simply put, the greatest form of the game known to mankind.  What, you're reading this blog and you've never been to Scotland or Ireland?  Go and book a trip right this minute, I'll wait.
  6. Equipment and Clothing - This is unlikely to be a major focus unless events intervene (think anchored putting).  But I'll pass along anything of interest that crosses any of my four eyes.
  7. The Weekend Fourball (not to mention evening golf with the lads in the golf shop) - We spend so much of our weekend games laughing with and at each other, that the blog posts will write themselves.  Will outsiders find it entertaining?  Who cares, it's my damn blog.
With that mission statement out of the way, we'll plan on a soft opening to get our feet  wet.  I'm currently more focused on ski season, having rented a condo in Park City, UT to which I'm traveling a couple of times a month.   I'll post some recent golf stories that folks might have missed, as well as work on the format and appearance of the blog.  Just to get things moving, anyone care to guess what famous golf hole is currently the background for the site?

As always, any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.  

1 comment:

  1. Now I know why I just got an iPad-- to be able to keep up with Unplayable Lies (Great name Scott!) from everywhere!
    As being the aforementioned Maggot, I want to say that I look forward to this free wheeling discourse of substantial and/or inane golf EVERYTHING.
    FORE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete