Wednesday, January 22, 2014

If I Were a Rich Man...

Golfweek's Alex Micelli posts on the results of an auction of golf memorabilia by Green Jacket Auctions.  The key bit:
The headliner was a collection of 42 photos from Old Tom Morris’s personal photography collection. The photos were found in the mid-1900s in an old stable, thus the moniker, “Stable Find," was attached to the collection.

The collection sold for $118,084, and again demonstrated the value of classic collectibles.
And this:
The gem of the collection, which sold for $19,850, was a photograph shot in 1875 at the St. Mary’s Studio in St. Andrews of Old and Young Tom Morris each with a club in their hands dressed in golfing apparel of the day.
“Tom Morris never (tried) to sell these photographs, they were part of his life,” Opgard said. “Whose golf life is more historic than Old Tom Morris?”
Who wouldn't want this to show off for a mere $20,000?
I have several wonderful old photographs purchased in St. Andrews that I dearly love.  A couple of them include Old Tom himself, but perhaps my favorite (that was a gift to my sainted bride) is one of a ladies tournament teeing off on the first tee of the Old Course in 1908.  Perhaps I should scan them to share, or see what they might be worth at auction?

The full winter auction results can be seen here, and it's great stuff, including more gutta-percha golf balls than I've ever seen (I just like saying gutta-percha).

No comments:

Post a Comment