Saturday, January 11, 2014

Flotsam and Jetsam, Park City Edition

Geoff Shackelford has been on fire the last couple of days, so let's shamelessly plagiarize link and send him valuable traffic:

That Cinking FeelingThis has been all over the Interwebs, but take a gander at this screen capture of Stewart Cink:


Stewart, this may seem obvious, but you need to either go outside without a hat occasionally or NEVER.

Yip Central:  Like the dreaded shank, the yips should not be spoken of in polite company.  But Padraig Harrington went there in an interview with Newstalk's Joe Molloy, describing the sensation thusly:

"I wouldn't be nervous all the way up until I pulled the putter away and all of a sudden, it was like an electric eel in my hand."

Sounds like he'll be jabbing a putter into his belly any day now.  

Department of Clarification:   Effective January 1, 2014, the USGA and R and A modified the rules regarding the use of distance measuring devices (my buddy Mark W. was ecstatic that he can now use his Garmin watch in R and A competitions, talk about first world problems).  As there no doubt remains some confusion among the plebes, the R and A has posted some FAQ's including this clarifying flow chart:




 That should clear things up nicely.

Unfortunate Wardrobe ChoicesGolf Digest brings us news that Freddie Jacobson is the best ping pong player on tour.  This is typically an annual chestnut wherein we hear of Ryder and or Presidents Cup captains ordering ping pong tables for the team rooms, hoping that Tiger and Phil will deign to acknowledge the other's presence.  In this case it's just an excuse to share this priceless photo:


Shack beat me to the prison jumpsuit analogy, but aren't those more typically orange?


It All Went Bad When We Gave Them the Vote Department:  I run a classy blog here, as evidenced by this link to a Harvard Business Review blog post by Karen Firestone, the gist of which is captured by this excerpt:

"Last summer, I was invited by a few friends to meet at 4 o’clock on a weekday to play a few holes of golf on a sunny afternoon.   As I got out of my car, a guy I know waved and said, “Hey, great to see you, but don’t you still work?”  (Yes.) Over on the driving range, another man I’ve known for years, came by and said, “So, you’ve finally decided to retire?”   (No.)

Since this was the first time in memory that I had left the office early (and it wasn’t even that early) for a fun activity, I wasn’t used to these questions. I realized, of course, that both men were professionals, as were most people on the golf course that weekday afternoon, and no one was asking them if they still were employed.  So why did they ask me?"

Obviously as a crusader for truth, justice and yada, yada, yada, I must make clear that the application of different standards based on gender is just plain wrong.   My diversity bona fides are, of course, beyond question, but I simply don't want anyone, male or female, cluttering up our golf course and slowing me down during my frequent (I only play on days that end in "y") evening golf.

Winter Blues:  Do idyllic Hawaiian golf photos help ease the pain of winter, or is it more a case of salt-meet-wound?  If the latter, click through at your peril, as Links Magazine has posted a slideshow of the 10 most beautiful holes in Hawaii.  Batting lead off is the 12th at Manele Bay on the Island of Lanai:

The 12th hole at The Challenge at Manele Bay, perhaps my favorite Nicklaus design.  The tee of this hole is reputedly where Bill Gates chose to get married, for reasons that elude me.
In the immortal words of Porky Pig (and has a blog post ever cited both The Harvard Business Review and Porky Pig?), "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment