Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Utah on My Mind

Yesterday was exactly why I came out to Park City this winter, simply the best ski day of the year.  Since I arrived Wednesday night, we've had something approaching 3 feet of fresh snow and a mountain that was mostly brown on my last visit is now offering stashes of powder up to one's waist.

As I've previously noted, temps have been on the warm side, so it's not the light fluffy powder they brag about on license plates.  But it has stayed very soft and there's just a huge amount of it.  A fellow could easily go most of a run without seeing the graphics on his skis, and that's a beautiful thing.

FNBF* Bob after an early morning spill.  The smile never left his or our faces.
Mid-morning we ran into a friend of Bob's named John, who is better known locally as Dragon.  John is an important personage in these parts, as he's reputed to be the best boot-fitter in town.  For a skier that's gold, and I'll be spending some quality time with him at some point.  But for today it was 2-3 loops off the Ninety-Nine Ninety (named for its altitude) lift through knee-deep powder.

Mitch attacking some soft bumps with FNBF* Bob, as usual, waiting for us below.
My three ski amigos.  I'm not sure why Lee is covering his face, though one does need to take the Witness Protection Program seriously.
FNBF* Bob is the tour guide, picking lines and luring us into the darkness. 
At one point I hit a tree with my helmet, don't know how it happened and didn't much care.  Just dove into the next stash of powder.  I probably shouldn't be letting Theresa know that, though I think she's stopped reading the blog.  I just have to deal with the fact that my Little Irish Girl™ has moved on.

Mitch shredding the Grande Bowl on our last run of the day.  This photo demonstrates the recurring difficulty of maintaining visual contact with FNBF* Bob.
Mitch losing a battle with a tree, which will happen to us all on tired legs. I took a face plant on the last run through one of FNBF* Bob's creek beds, but luckily I was the one with the camera, so no photo evidence.
All I can say is, thanks guys.  Oh, and wanna do it again today?

* Former New Best Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment