Monday, February 24, 2014

Flotsam and Jetsam™, Non-Golf Ediition

As I enjoy myself out here in Paradise, I've run across some non-golf items to share with you.  Why?  Just because I can....
  • Ski-Blogging:  It hasn't been a particularly bounteous ski season at Canyons, and the natives are a tad on the restless side.   One of the major culprits has been consistently warm temperatures, which will generate a sarcastic boo-hoo from East Coasters hunkering down for Polar Vortex - The Sequel.  Thus we're forced to suffer through beautiful blue-bird days and Spring-like conditions for the time being.
The view from my living room window at dawn Friday. 
Lunch break in the sun.  From l-to-r, FNBF* Bob, Sofia and the author.
Sofia kicks back to soak up some rays.
Just though you might want to see how I suffer.  Heavy storms are forecast for right after I leave, natch.
  • Olympic Yawn - Quite the snooze-fest, even for a winter sport enthusiast such as your humble blogger.  And the NBC coverage was especially dreadful, the couple of events that I genuinely enjoyed were those I watched on demand.  And don't get me started about the Communist apologia, a pivotal experiment indeed.  But a couple of notes therefrom:
First, this is a great picture from the top of the Olympic ski jump:
In my skiing we joke about pointing our skis straight down the hill.  They do that for real.
sadanduseless.com, a humor website, has a feature on the creepy faces of Olympic ice skaters and they're, what's the word, creepy.  Here's a couple of samples:
The plot eludes me here, though I'm guessing this is as much fun as the guy in the sweater vest has ever had.
Is she trying to wink?  Not working for me, but your mileage might vary.
  • I have my fingers crossed about the situation in Ukraine, hoping for the best for a people that suffered more than most from that pivotal experiment called Communism.  I spent three days in Kiev during my term as an exchange student, but it was in the dead of winter and we had just come from Tbilisi, the Garden of Eden by comparison.  Just a couple of images to share:
Next stop, ash heap of history.

I know nothing of the background of this photo, but that's the most bad-ass priest I've ever seen.  Hope he's on the side of the good guys.
Looking to drum up some new business, 13-year-old Girl Scout Danielle Lei and her mom set out for a San Francisco medical marijuana clinic on Monday, armed with boxes of Tagalongs, Dulce de Leches and other cookie varieties she and other scouts sell annually. 
Any patients at The Green Cross with the munchies didn't stand a chance. In two hours on President's Day, Danielle sold 117 boxes outside the clinic — people gobbled up all her Dulce de Leches and blazed through the Tagalongs. According to her mother, Carol, that's 37 more boxes than what she sold during the same two-hour period outside a small Safeway the next day.
I'm a tad surprised that it worked THAT well, since presumably the patients were just acquiring their medical ganja, not, you know, taking their first dose.
  • Harold Ramis, RIP -  Saddened by the death of Harold Ramis, one of the truly funny people in the business.  Best known for directing comedy gems such as Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day and, this is a golf blog after all, Caddyshack.  Ramis came to notice as one of the players in the great, albeit unwatched, Second City TV.  Here are a couple of his bits from the SCTV days:



No comments:

Post a Comment