Thursday, June 12, 2014

Character Reveals Itself

We were quite taken by the character displayed by Jason Millard in foregoing an opportunity to tee it up in Pinehurst this week.  For those just tuning in, the background can be found here...

First up today is this unbylined AP piece that catches up with the young man as he deals with the aftershocks of his laudable decision:
"Unfortunately, this is what happens in life," Millard said. "Hopefully, I'll be back there one
day." 
He's already dealt with issues far more serious than missing a golf tournament. His father Eddie, who steered him to the game and drove him to all his tournaments as a kid, died in April 2013 from leukemia. Millard's mother, Debbie, can barely get around after being stricken with multiple sclerosis. Jason, in fact, still lives with his mom when he's not on the road trying to qualify for PGA Tour and Web.com events. He pays her bills, does the grocery shopping, takes care of odds and ends around the house. 
Millard was thinking about his dad when trying to decide whether to disqualify himself from the Open. 
"He was pretty much my best friend," Millard said. "When stuff would happen, I always called him first. In this instance, I definitely would've called him first, talked to him about it. Unfortunately, I couldn't."
I suspect that when he gets back out there he'll feel the love from his peers, as well as from the spectators that remember his actions.

And speaking of those that uphold the best traditions of the game (and the astute reader likely guessed that the above was thin gruel to support its own post), comes an e-mail from our friend Elsie, whom most readers will know as The Scottish Housewife.

I'll let Elsie tell the tale:
The Scottish Housewife in her indigenous habitat.
I had a great game of golf yesterday... and was ruminating in the evening that I had a silly 5 on the 5th hole.. which is a par 3 ...and then realized I had taken an illegal drop from the water hazard.... what was I thinking!! Forgot it even was a water hazard as my ball was embedded in the grassy bank!!! Thought I would catch Marie in the office this morning before she put the scores in but she had already done them.. so disqualified myself and from fame to shame.. had won the comp!!!!


I beg to differ, Elsie... there's nothing but fame and admiration for you amongst the vast Unplayable Lies readership.  

No comments:

Post a Comment