Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pinehurst Flyovers - Holes Nos. 16-18

For thee of little faith, here's the wrap-up of our flyover series of videos:

Hole No. 16 - Par 4 - 534 Yards - A Par-5 for resort play, this will be an important and difficult par on Sunday afternoon.  It's a difficult landing area to hit, and the green will be difficult to hold with a long iron.

In the final round of the National Country Club Championship I was able to reach, though not hold, this green in two (another dreaded Pinehurst BMIR*), so the big boys will clearly get there.  I suspect that I'll see quite a few similar chips to mine from the back left collection area, and while I got it up and down it required holing a ten-footer after my chip grazed the pin, an indication of how quick it will be.


As per the video, this is the only water hazard on the golf course.  In the next two weeks we should see something around 900 tee shots on No. 16, and my first prediction is that we'll see zero balls in the water.

Hole No. 17 - Par 3 - 208 Yards:  This was the second green on which Coore-Crenshaw reclaimed original terrain and a pin location.  It played the easiest of the Par-3's in the 2005 Open, and is a legitimate late birdie opportunity.



Hole No. 18 - Par 4 - 453 Yards:  I'm still trying to figure out why this hole plays so tough, as it chewed me up and spit me out in October.  It is a narrow landing area, but with a short or mid-iron you expect these guys to stick it close.



* Ball Mark in Regulation

No comments:

Post a Comment