Thursday, June 5, 2014

That's How You Adjust Handicaps!

Had a reunion of sorts last night, which proved to be great fun.  The faithful reader will know Kent St, Charles, my frequent evening golf partner/opponent and his friend/luggage-toter Kyle Munoz from my post on U.S. Open qualifying earlier this week.  

Kyle used to play at Lake Isle, the semi-public facility owned by the town of Eastchester, where I (and later Theresa) played when we lived in the City.  Kyle has recently joined Leewood Country Club, and Kent has been enjoying some evening golf there when he gets tired of being humbled by an old man.  Kyle was kind enough to extend the invite to me and we convened there late yesterday afternoon.

The lads, from l-r, Kyle, AC and Kent.
The lads had a surprise in store for me, as joining us was none other than "Big Break" Anthony Casalino, whom I'd not seen since he moved on to Innis Arden Country Club over the winter.  Anthony is of course best known for his rather subdued reaction after breaking the glass on Big Break.  I can't find a YouTube clip of just that, but the full episode can be viewed here.

As a digression, the 5-minute search for the glass-breaking clip exposed me to the rather scary sub-culture of Big Break forums.  My dear readers no doubt believe that I need to get out of the house more frequently, but who are these people posting endless comments on Big Break message boards?  As for h2o-Boy comparing AC's swing to "someone having a seizure," well that's just mean-spirited.  We here at Unplayable Lies prefer to take the high road...

Kent had warned me that the back nine at Leewood is brutal, and he was spot on.  Of course it didn't help
AC's new staff bag - check out the Twitter handle.
that after I opened with three pars on the rather benign front side King Anthony of Yonkers decreed that Kyle and I would play at scratch, though I didn't quite catch his citation from The Decisions on the Rules of Golf authorizing said handicap adjustment.  But, as Mel Brooks famously said, "It's Good to be the King."
As we made the turn my world changed almost immediately, as a solid drive on No. 10 barely reached the fairway and a well-struck 4-wood left me 45 yards out.  We were of course playing from their black tees, and checking the card I realized they had me on a 470-yard Par-4... We know how that movie ends, don't we?

And just so you appreciate these guys, on the 526-yard Par-5 14th hole, Kent had all of 198 yards on his second shot.  Bother he and AC reached in two, though neither makeable eagle putt dropped.

But it was great to see the reclusive AC, and it's quite the compliment that the youngsters enjoy (or perhaps, more accurately, don't mind terribly) having an alter kocker hang with them.

But now the strangest item from the day.  Over a post-round burger, Kyle explains that he's been sorting through his father's accumulated papers and found a Lake Isle receipt from 2004.  He scanned it for me, and it can be seen below:


Apparently Theresa and I (as well as our good friend Glenn) played with Kyle's father at Lake Isle, years before we became friends with his son.  A small world, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. WHoa, AC is actually somewhere to be found. Been missing the high flyers.
    Wish I was there.
    M

    ReplyDelete