Sunday, March 15, 2015

Soporific Sunday

I'm only going to spend a very few minutes with you this morning...there's not much news out there and I'm feeling a bit sluggish.  

First, a couple of pictures from yesterday's golf outing to Soldier Hollow, a 36-hole complex with both tracks rated in the top ten in Utah by Golfweek (which hosted the USGA Publinx as recently as 2012).  A fun day for sure, if you ignore the minor detail that I come here to ski.  It was a very enjoyable course perfect for a mid-winter swing, but quite the wacky routing, with exactly six holes of each par.  If you're looking for your first ace, this would be the place as where else do you get six whacks at it each loop...

Lee traversing a fairway.  There should be much more white stuff on those peaks.
Even I don't really care how I play in mid-March, especially with borrowed clubs.  But I did pure a knockdown 8-iron into the ninth green that reminded me of why I love the game...the official start of the 2015 golf season here at Unplayable Lies.

Mitch hit a good shot here at the brutal Par-3 15th.
Of course I got my comeuppance at the 15th pictured above, where a hard left-to-right wind caused two splashes for your humble correspondent.  But we were out in shorts, had great company (Nate from the Wasatch Biathlon back in December was our fourth) and a good time was had by all.

Just a couple of other quick items.... the Innisbrook event is setting up for a good finish, but by far the best part of the broadcast was this incredibly cute side-by-side video of Ryan Moore's son Tucker's swing compared to Bubba's:


I can't embed the video but you can watch it here.  Neither of their feet stay on the ground for long, so it's good fun.

Lastly, Shack is running a reader poll of whether he will or won't... you know whereof I speak for sure.  Probably of greater interest are the comments of Shack himself:
I'm of the view that Woods won't play the Masters, should not play, and based on the peculiar dramas of 2015, will only find more misery if he tries to play with a rusty, iffy game. His team's claims of hard work along with the decision to wait until as close as possible to Bay Hill's entry deadline appear meant to give sponsors the impression they will get value for their investment at some point.

And while I know some are tired of Tiger talk, this bizarro will-he-or-won't-he drama appears unprecedented in the annals of All Time Greats. (Well, unless you count when he was in rehab and reappeared at the 2010 Masters).
A reminder that he finished T4 that year, but of course his game hadn't deserted him (he won six times in 2009).  The only thing I'll add is that if you're suffering from the chipping yips, Augusta will try your soul with its incredibly tight lies.   

No comments:

Post a Comment