Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Flotsam and Jetsam

We're in wind down mode, culling our food supplies and thinking about our homebound logistics.  We're off for a last loop on Crail's Balcomie Links, which we've discussed previously.  I'll not bore you with too much from there unless, of course, things get interesting.

Have I mentioned The Diving Gannett?  An adorable coffee bar cum gift shop in the heart of St. Monans, I plan to head there after my arrival home.


That image, as well as the one below, are lifted from this lovely review of the joint by the Scone Spy:


Theresa arrives back from a long walk just then, and she's carrying a wee piece of art in bubble wrap.  Which amuses me, because there was a piece that I noticed last time, that I wanted to consider purchasing.

We have a lovely sausage roll and cappuccino, then venture upstairs to look at their offerings.  For the first time ever, Theresa actually agrees with me, though she did reject out of hand some tiles that I rather liked.  But we go ahead and purchase this piece, called The Colors of St. Monans:


Nothing out of the ordinary here, but then a woman at the first table tells us that her mother, sitting next to her, is the artist....


Best of all, Frances, the artist, tells us that this never happens, because she never eats here.  The Gannett folks are selling your art, so you might not want to make too strong a point of never frequenting their place.  Lovely folks and they profess to be happy that the piece has found a good home.... We do invite them to visit it in its new home.

We head back to the Dreel Tavern for dinner:


They do a really good job with their food.... Scottish food is a bit of a mixed bag, but there are many examples of pubs that have upped their game.  To Theresa's right above is a plaque in the ancient wall:


I spent all of my twenties and thirties trying to wet my hose, but it's not for everyone....

We take another lovely walk down by the harbor, enjoying the late day light:


The woman with the stroller (her husband is to the right) we've noticed on prior evenings, and we strike up a lovely conversation with them at the end of the pier.  They live in Glasgow but have a house in St. Monans, and she's been coming here her whole life....  In fact, she tells us of her earliest memory, her third birthday party here in St. Monans.  

We're off to savor our last full day in the East Neuk, and I'll check back in as I'm able.

No comments:

Post a Comment