Monday, October 7, 2024

Robert Dembner - RIP

You might have noticed a bit of an hiatus in my blogging... Life has a way of coming at us hard.

A sad week for Theresa and me, as well as for the entire Fairview community, as we lost a wonderful man and great friend:

Robert Dembner

May 8, 1944 - September 28, 2024


Better known in these pages as Bobby D.,

The photo is from his 80th birthday party back in May, but what followed was a dreadful summer of health issues which Bob accepted with his characteristic grace.  Bob was a great player, winning five Fairview Club Championships, though I of course only saw his game in Autumn.  But the skills were still in evidence, almost more interesting seeing them applied in the face of the inevitable effects of aging.

Bob was a great friend to me, and golf just hasn't been the same without his presence.  He was also a great friend of this blog, always with an encouraging word to me and recommending to others that they check it out.  As an example, on a recent Scotland trip I was posting from mu bubble, completely uncertain whether that which I was writing was worth the pixels.  In the middle of said funk I receive an e-mail from Bob describing his enjoyment of those posts, the prefect message at the perfect time from the perfect source... That was Bob.

I played over the weekend with a fellow member of the Wednesday Game™.  After hitting a good shot he noted that, had Bob been with us, his face would light up with pleasure that his friend had pulled off a good shot...  That was also our Bobby.

He was a man, take him for all in all,
I shall not look upon his like again. - Hamlet

R.I.P.

Regular blogging will resume this week, secure in the knowledge that that's what Bob would have wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment