Friday, August 7, 2015

This Is Major

Dear Reader, forgive me this moment of personal privilege... Most of you know Employee No. 2 for her tireless efforts to promote this silly blog, which likely wouldn't exist absent her encouragement.  

Theresa and I met in 1999, when she was very much a newbie golfer.  In fact, had I not invited her to play golf on our second date, it most likely would have been one and done.  I first took Theresa to Scotland in 2001, and damn near lost her in the dunes lining the endless second hole at Royal Aberdeen.  The next day we played Cruden Bay in a driving, horizontal rain, got into the car dripping wet, drove four hours to Dornoch and she answered the bell for a 7:00 a.m. tee time.  It was at that moment I knew I would marry this woman...

Since the beginning of our golf travels, we have played highly competitive matches against each other.  For that background I'll refer you to this precis written in conjunction with our 2012 Fortnight in Ballyliffin.  It may be my favorite post of my blogging career, so indulge a proud hubby and give it a read.

So, why the wistful trip down memory lane?  Because yesterday my girl won her first Willow Ridge Club Championship.  This year's format was 54 holes of stroke play, and Theresa grabbed a three-stroke lead in the first round, and went wire-to-wire to a four-shot win.

I snuck out there to see the gals finish, hiding in a grove of trees so as not to intrude on the proceedings (though she later told me that she noticed).  I had received word that she had a good-sized lead on No. 17, but was way nervous when she put her approach to the final green in the back bunker.  Given the day's back pin, that's one nasty spot and much can go wrong, but our resolute hero popped one safely out and onto the fringe, and confidently two-putted to close it out.

We then had to scramble and get her packed and on her way to London...but I just wanted to let you all know that our Tessie done good!

No comments:

Post a Comment