Saturday, June 9, 2018

A Non Golf Book Plug

I don't use this space often for plugs, but do bear with me for this one matter of personal privilege.  It's not often that a close friend publishes a book, especially one I can recommend without reservation.

Glenn Emanuel is a longtime friend and occasional reader of these pages.  You would be well within your rights to question his judgment for only occasionally reading the blog, but I think we should be charitable in this case.  Glenn has reinvented himself in recent years as an instructor of entrepreneurship at both the undergraduate and graduate level.  He has just released Dear E, Love Letters to the Apprehensive Entrepreneur.   



Glenn has structured the book as a series of letters, each cover a specific aspect of the planning and execution for the start of a new business.  I'll confess to being a tad skeptical about that device, but my fears were allayed as I read the book.  It provides for a very a logical segmentation among that varied in such an undertaking.  Though I think that is much the result of Glenn's strong voice, which is really what carries the book.

I'll also confess to the suspicions that entrepreneurs are more likely born than created, though the author might quibble.  But for a young person considering such a path forward, Dear E strikes me as a valuable tool to familiarize the apprehensive with the types of judgments and factors with which they will grapple in their quest.

In fact, I would argue Glenn's book might be as helpful to a youngster that didn't have their sights set on being their own boss.  I know that I was surprised in business school as to where my interests and aptitudes lie, as I'm sure happens to many others.  A budding ballet dancer might take issue with Glenn over his marketing plan for his Shanghai wedding shop, threrby discovering something useful about themselves.

If you know someone for whom this might be helpful, I recommend it to you without reservation.

And not to worry, we'll soon be back to our regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment